Chelsea's Scott pursuit is real — but Fernandez has to go first

Last updated:
🔥 Join Our FREE Telegram Channel
✔️ Daily expert tips ✔️ Live scores
✔️ Match analysis ✔️ Breaking news

⏰ Limited free access
👉 Join Now
Content navigation
Chelsea's Scott pursuit is real — but Fernandez has to go first.

Chelsea's interest in Alex Scott isn't going away, but it's conditional. The Blues will only push hard for the Bournemouth midfielder if Enzo Fernandez exits Stamford Bridge before the September 1 deadline — and right now, that departure is anything but guaranteed.

This isn't a speculative flirtation. Chelsea already had a £64 million bid rejected last month. Bournemouth's response was unambiguous: Scott isn't available this summer. Their insiders refused to even put a number on his value, which is the clearest possible signal that they're not entertaining a negotiation.

Scott's situation at Bournemouth

The 22-year-old reportedly turned down a contract extension at the Vitality Stadium, which tells you everything about his ambitions. Several 'big six' clubs have circled. But Bournemouth have drawn a hard line — they're keeping him until at least January, regardless of the noise around him.

Training with England ahead of a World Cup cycle at his age says plenty about where the football world sees his ceiling. Chelsea see it too. The problem is Bournemouth aren't blinking.

For Chelsea, Scott is one of several central midfield options on their shortlist. He's not the plan — he's a contingency. And contingencies only get activated if the primary situation changes.

The Fernandez question

That situation is Fernandez. Manchester City remain the frontrunners for the Argentine, and Chelsea gave them an unofficial Friday deadline to match a £120 million asking price. No formal offer arrived. That price has since been taken off the table, but City's interest hasn't cooled.

Fernandez returned to Stamford Bridge over the weekend to a split reception — jeers from one section of the support, chants from another. It's not a comfortable place to be, and it won't help anyone's decision-making.

Xabi Alonso has publicly said he wants Fernandez in his squad for his first season in charge, and Chelsea insiders claim they're relaxed about keeping him. Whether that confidence holds if City come back with a serious offer is a different question entirely.

  • Chelsea's £64m bid for Scott was rejected last month
  • Bournemouth insist Scott is not for sale this summer
  • Scott turned down a contract extension at the Vitality Stadium
  • Manchester City were given an informal deadline to pay £120m for Fernandez — they missed it
  • That £120m price has now been withdrawn

If Fernandez stays, Chelsea move on and Scott stays in Bournemouth. If City come back and the numbers work, Scott becomes the immediate priority. Anyone pricing Chelsea's midfield depth into their title odds this season should be watching this one closely — the final fortnight could reshape the whole picture.

Last updated: August 2026