The World Cup is the pinnacle for many footballers, with national pride on the line. For punters too, it’s a great time to have some fun with your betting bank and make some money. There are plenty of markets available on this tournament, which means there are plenty of opportunities to cash in. From correct score betting to player prices and even yellow card markets, there’s something for everyone. Impeccable research and preparation will be key if you want to make some cash - so read on for our World Cup betting tips!
TOP 10 World Cup Betting Sites in UK
World Cup Betting Strategy
The key to successful World Cup betting is to be flexible and open-minded. There are so many different variables that come into play during this tournament, from injuries to red cards. No two games will ever be the same, so predicting the outcome of every game will be extremely difficult. Instead, focus on the big favourites and the games with high odds. These matches will generally have more price variance which means you’ll have more room for manoeuvre if you end up cashing. During the group stage, keep it simple. Focus on the teams that you think will reach the knockout phase, and the ones that will finish bottom of their group. These are the teams that are most likely to play an open, attacking game that will result in plenty of goals. Set yourself a target of how much you want to make from each group, and try to hit it as soon as possible.
World Cup group stage betting tips
The first leg of the World Cup is the group stage, where 32 teams will be fighting for the top spots. If you want to start betting on the World Cup early, keep an eye on this particular stage. The top two teams from each group will advance to the next round, where the knockout round begins.
- Keep the favorites in mind - The favorites in this round will be Brazil, France, Germany and Spain. If you want to stay away from these teams, keep in mind that more bets are likely to be placed on them and therefore they will cost more. Find advantages in other teams and try to create an even distribution of bets.
- Look for dark horses - Dark horses are teams that are not expected to do well, but can surprise everyone. There are plenty of these teams in the group stage, so pick your own and look for opportunities to create value in the long run.
- Stay ahead of schedule - The first stage is all about getting ahead of schedule, so be sure to keep an eye on the groups. Pay attention to close matches, as they will have a higher probability of a draw, and you'll have a chance to bet on the right score.
World Cup betting tips on player prices
Player prices are an interesting way to bet on the World Cup, but they are also risky. If you want to bet at player price, you will be looking at single bets, which are essentially two-way bets. The advantage of player-priced bets is that you can select more than one player at a time.
- Note the value - In singles bets, you can bet on anything from the outcome of the game to a yellow card. If the match is expected to end 2-0, but you think one of the teams could be shown a red card, you can bet on that outcome.
- Don't get too carried away - such bets are a lot of fun, but there is a chance that you will lose it all. Keep your emotions under control, don't get distracted and don't make rash decisions that could jeopardize your bank.
- Stay ahead of the schedule - If you are betting on one outcome, follow the schedule to stay ahead of the game. Yellow card betting can be more difficult, but you can still follow the schedule to make sure you get the most accurate odds.
Bets on outcomes and scores
If you’re struggling to find a bet that you like, look for markets like head-to-head or the next coach to leave. These are usually forgotten about and undervalued, making them great for small profit. You can also look for various statistics that might indicate which team is more likely to win. For example, if team A has kept 9 clean sheets and team B has kept 1, you can assume that team A is more likely to keep a clean sheet. Similarly, you can look at tactical advantages. If team A plays with a 4-3-3 and team B plays a 4-4-2, team A is likely to have a tactical advantage. You can use these small advantages to help you choose your bets and make a little extra money during the World Cup
What are the best markets for the World Cup?
The best markets for the World Cup tend to be those with a lot of variety. Markets such as total corners, total yellow cards, and correct score are often worth the effort.
What is the group stage format?
The group stage sees 32 teams split into 8 groups of 4 teams. These teams play each other in 2 games, one at home and one away. The top 2 teams from each group make it to the next round - the knockout stages.
How do you bet on the World Cup?
With so many different betting sites, it can be hard to navigate your way through the process of placing a bet. Ensure you check out our guide to World Cup betting, which will walk you through the process step-by-step.