New Jersey was left out of the sports betting party for a long time, but that all changed in June 2018. That’s when the state became the latest and 10th jurisdiction to pass legislation allowing residents to bet on sporting events. The New Jersey sports betting sites is still in its early days, but it’s growing fast. So fast that you can now find a list of New Jersey sportsbooks and learn more about their offers. Keep reading to learn more about the state of New Jersey sports betting, which books are available, and how you can get started placing your bets today.
Top 10 Best online Sports Betting Sites in New Jersey
Is New Jersey sports betting legal?
You bet! This was the first state to offer sports betting following the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn the federal ban on such wagers. In fact, New Jersey sports betting has been up and running for about a year. New Jersey sports betting is now legal after the Supreme Court’s ruling on the case, Christie v. NCAA, made it possible for states to legalize sports gambling. New Jersey is the first state to do so. New Jersey sports betting is legal thanks to the state’s determined efforts to legalize it. The state passed a law in 2014 allowing sports gambling, but it was challenged in court by the NCAA and the four major professional sports leagues (the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL). The case made its way to the Supreme Court, and in May 2018, the justices ruled that the federal ban on sports betting is unconstitutional. That cleared the way for New Jersey sports betting to be implemented, and the state began accepting bets at sportsbooks on June 14, 2018.
How to start betting in New Jersey?
You can visit any one of New Jersey’s sportsbooks with just a click of your mouse. You can visit the websites of New Jersey sportsbooks and place bets online. Most sportsbooks offer apps that you can use on your smartphones and tablets to bet on sports. Some books also have telephone betting options so that you can place your bets by phone. To place bets, you’ll need to sign up for an account at a New Jersey sportsbook. Most books have an account creation process that takes just a few minutes.
You’ll need to provide basic information, like your name and address, when creating an account. You may also be required to provide identification, such as a driver’s license, to verify your account. Once you have an account, you can start betting on sports. Some books offer bets on other sports-related events, like the College Football Playoff championship.
Best offers and bonuses in New Jersey
You can find all kinds of offers and bonuses at New Jersey sportsbooks. Some of these are available to everyone, while others are reserved for certain types of bettors. These might include high rollers, new customers, or people who sign up using a certain referral code. New Jersey sportsbooks offer a wide selection of deposit and withdrawal options. You can fund your account using a debit or credit card, electronic transfer, or a number of other methods. Some books also accept cryptocurrency, such as Bitcoin. New Jersey sportsbooks also offer sign-up bonuses to new customers. These bonuses can take a variety of forms, such as extra free bets or credits that you can apply towards future bets.
Mobile sports betting in New Jersey
Yes, you can bet on sports from your mobile device in New Jersey. Some books offer mobile-optimized websites that you can easily navigate from a smartphone or tablet. Others have mobile apps that you can download and install on your device. You can bet on sports from your mobile device just as easily as you can on a desktop computer. You can place your bets through the sportsbook’s website or app and have access to all the same features that are available when betting from a computer. You can also place sports bets from your Apple Watch or Android Wear device. Several books offer apps designed to run on smartwatches or other wearable devices. These apps are designed to be simple, allowing you to place bets quickly on a small screen.
Quick Facts: Betting on Sports in New Jersey
We have prepared some informative facts for you about sports betting in New Jersey:
- The sports betting market in New Jersey is growing rapidly. Within the first week of the state's first sports betting shops, daily turnover was about $5 million.
- Fantasy sports are legal in New Jersey, with some minor exceptions. You can play daily fantasy games and seasonal fantasy sports.
- Sports betting is taxed at 8%. This is the same rate as for casino games such as blackjack and poker.
- Sports betting in New Jersey is overseen by the state Lottery Commission. They will also oversee casino sports betting when it becomes legal.
Pros and cons of sports betting in New Jersey
There are several pros and cons to sports betting in New Jersey, let's take a look at them:
- More betting options. When betting on sports in New Jersey, you have access to many more betting options than a standard Las Vegas sportsbook.
- Large potential winnings. More betting options at New Jersey sports betting means you have a better chance of hitting the big jackpot.
- Cheaper than sports betting in Las Vegas. Since sports betting in New Jersey is not as heavily taxed as it is in Las Vegas, you get more value.
- Extensive regulation. Since sports betting is heavily regulated by the state government, it can be difficult to navigate.
- Difficulty enforcing rules. The state government has little control over sports betting at the federal level, so it can't enforce the rules.
- Dependence on sports betting. Since sports betting is a widely available form of gambling, it is easy to become addicted to it.
Can I bet on pro sports in New Jersey?
Yes, you can bet on all the major pro sports leagues in New Jersey. This includes the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL. You’ll also be able to bet on pro soccer leagues, such as the Premier League, La Liga, and MLS.
What is the NJ sports betting tax rate?
You’ll pay taxes on your sports betting winnings in New Jersey. The state has yet to announce the exact tax rate, but it will likely be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10%.
Is there an age limit to place a bet in New Jersey?
New Jersey has set the minimum age to place a sports bet at 21 years of age.