The state of Illinois is home to some of the most iconic professional sports teams in the country. With the popularity of these teams continuing to grow, there’s no doubt that sports betting is also on the rise in Illinois. This page covers all you need to know about sports betting in Illinois, including details on legal status, online betting sites, and how you can get started. Keep reading to get the information you need!
Top 10 Best online Sports Betting Sites in Illinois
Is Illinois sports betting legal?
Before diving into the details of sports betting in Illinois, it’s important to understand the legal status of betting in the state. In general, sports betting is regulated at the state level. This means that each state has a say as to whether or not it will allow sports betting to be carried out within its borders. While Illinois had its own sports betting prohibition in place, the state was one of the last holdouts in the country when it came to sports betting. Now, however, the Windy City is back in the game.
How do I start betting in Illinois?
Now that we understand the legal status of sports betting in Illinois, let's understand how you can bet in this state. Since we are currently in a transition period between prohibition and regulation, the exact process for placing bets in Illinois may change somewhat over time. With that in mind, here's what you need to know when starting to bet on sports in Illinois:
- Find an authorized sports betting site: As with any state, you'll need to find an authorized sports betting site. Right now, the only fully authorized sports betting sites in Illinois are FanDuel, DraftKings and William Hill.
- Register and Deposit: Once you have chosen an authorized sports betting site, you will need to register, deposit and choose your payment method. Be sure to read the terms and conditions before you start! There may be certain restrictions on who can place certain types of bets.
- Place a bet: Once you have created an account and deposited money, you can begin placing bets. Most sites have their own sports betting apps that you can use on your desktop computer, laptop or smartphone.
Best offers and bonuses in Illinois
Just as with many other states, sports betting in Illinois is still in a transitional period. This means that there are no standard offers or bonuses available in the state. However, as we get closer to legal sports betting in Illinois, you can expect to see more and more offers from sports betting sites in the state. With that said, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Be wary of free bets: There are lots of sites out there offering “free bets” in exchange for signing up and depositing with them. Be careful with these offers, as they might have hidden terms and conditions. Make sure you read the fine print before signing up and depositing.
- Be careful with cash bonuses: While cash bonuses can be a great way to get free money to start betting with, they also come with restrictions. Make sure you meet all the requirements before withdrawing your winnings!
Mobile sports betting in Illinois
One of the biggest changes that came along with sports betting legalization in Illinois is the introduction of legal sports betting apps. A lot of the sites that have been around for a while have recently launched their own apps for iPhone, Android, and other smartphones. With sports betting apps, you can bet on your favorite sports at any time and from anywhere. This includes not only when you’re at home but also when you’re out and about.
Illinois Betting Tips
Now that we've covered everything you need to know about sports betting in Illinois, it's time to look at some key tips for betting in this state. These tips don't just apply to sports betting in Illinois - they can apply to any state! While betting on sports may seem like a simple game at first glance, it is important to remember that it is also a form of gambling. With that in mind, you should always follow a few basic rules when betting:
- Bet only what you can afford to lose: Sports betting is a risky business, and you never know when you will hit the jackpot or fail. Always remember to bet only what you can afford to lose.
- Do your research: Before you start betting, be sure to do your research. Learn as much as you can about the teams and players you are betting on. This includes things like their records, recent performances, strengths and weaknesses.
- Steer clear of betting syndicates: There are many "betting syndicates" which try to win big winnings for you. These syndicates are illegal in many states (including Illinois), so stay away from them!
Pros and Cons of Betting on Sports in Illinois
As with anything, there are both pros and cons to betting on sports in Illinois. Let’s take a look at both sides of the coin:
- Sports betting sites may not have the widest variety of bets and bet types.
- Betting sites are sometimes slow to pay out winnings.
- Legal sports betting is addictive and can lead to problem gambling.
What are the best sports to bet on in Illinois?
As with any other state, the sports you bet on will be largely determined by your interests. If you’re not sure what sports to bet on, you can always ask yourself which sports you enjoy watching the most. Once you know this, you can look for trends and stats to see if any of these sports are likely to have an interesting betting line.
What are the best online sportsbooks for Illinois sports betting?
The best online sportsbooks for Illinois sports betting will be the ones that accept bets from Illinois residents. These will likely be the same sportsbooks that allow residents in other states to place bets. You can find out which sportsbooks are accepting bets from Illinois residents by visiting our Illinois sports betting page.
What is the betting line in Illinois?
The betting line in Illinois is the set number that oddsmakers use to predict the outcome of a game. You can find out what the betting line is for any game by visiting the sportsbook’s page for that event.