eSports betting has become one of the most popular pastimes for punters around the world, with many markets now operating within this niche. However, because of legal restrictions and licensing requirements, it can be challenging for Aussies to find credible eSports betting sites in Australia. This article will explore all the intricacies of Australian e-sports betting, and provide you with a list of operators that accept players from Australia. With this guide at your fingertips, you’ll have everything you need to start wagering on your favorite virtual competitors!
Top 10 eSports Betting sites in Australia
What is eSports Betting?
eSports betting is the act of placing a wager on the outcome of an eSports tournament. Because eSports are played by real people, rather than computer-generated teams, there is ample opportunity for human error to affect the results. This provides opportunities for savvy bettors to place predictions on who they believe will take home the prize. While eSports betting has become wildly popular, it’s important to note that it’s fundamentally different from sports betting. While sports betting relies on the skill of the players, eSports betting relies on the luck of the draw. With that being said, eSports betting is an entirely legitimate pastime that attracts millions of players from around the world.
Is eSports betting Legal in Australia?
The short answer is yes. However, eSports betting in Australia is a bit more complicated. When it comes to local eSports betting, the legality of the activity differs from state to state. While some states have adopted a more lenient approach to eSports betting, others have enforced strict bans. This has created a challenging environment for operators and players alike. If you are interested in placing a bet on eSports, the first thing you should do is check your state’s gambling legislation. If you’re in NSW, QLD, VIC, or NT, you’re in luck – these states have adopted a more flexible approach to eSports betting, and have removed many of the restrictive laws surrounding online gaming. If you’re in other parts of Australia, you may find it challenging to find an operator that accepts players from your state. Therefore, it’s important to do your research and find a site that caters to your needs.
How to Place an eSports Bet
Finding the right eSports betting site is crucial to enjoying a positive betting experience. To help you on your journey, here is a list of the most important considerations when choosing an eSports betting site:
- The operators license – eSports betting sites need to be licensed. Licensed operators will have submitted to a rigorous process of due diligence, and will be required to adhere to strict gambling laws. Licensed eSports betting sites are more trustworthy, and are less likely to run off with your money.
- The operators reputation – After you’ve established that an operator is licensed, you should research its online reputation. A reputable operator will have a positive online presence, and will be responsive to player queries.
- The betting menu and odds - You should choose an operator with a wide variety of eSports betting markets, and competitive odds.
- The operators customer service - Customer service is an often overlooked aspect of online gaming. You should choose an operator that provides 24/7 support, and has a proven track record of answering customer queries in a timely manner.
- The operators deposit and withdrawal options - You should choose an operator that accepts the payment methods you are most comfortable with.
Best eSports Games to Bet on in Australia
Here are a few of our favourite eSports games to bet on. With the wide variety of games available, there is something for everyone.
- League of Legends - LoL is one of the world’s most popular eSports, and is played by millions of players every day. LoL is a 5-on-5 multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game, and is played by two teams of five players.
- CS:GO - CS:GO stands for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and is a first-person shooter game. CS:GO is played by two teams of five players, and is one of the most popular eSports in the world.
- Dota 2 - Dota 2 is another MOBA game. This is one of the most popular eSports in the world, and is played by two teams of five players.
- Overwatch - Overwatch is a multiplayer first-person shooter game. This is one of the most popular eSports in the world, and is played by two teams of six players.
- NBA 2K - NBA 2K is a basketball simulation game, and one of the most popular eSports in the world. This is played by two teams of five players, and is an ideal option for basketball fans looking to get into eSports betting.
eSports Betting Payments Methods Australia
One of the most important steps in securing a smooth betting experience is choosing a payment method that is both convenient and reliable. Below, we’ve listed some of the most popular payment methods for Australian eSports bettors:
- Bank transfer - Bank transfer is an ideal payment method for Australian eSports bettors. This is a secure method of payment, and allows you to link your bank account to your account to deposit funds.
- eWallets - eWallets such as PayPal, Skrill and Neteller have become popular among Australian eSports bettors. These are secure payment methods, and are linked to your bank account.
- Credit card - Credit cards have become a popular payment method among Australian eSports bettors. This is an easy and convenient method of payment, but is not as secure as other methods.
- Cryptocurrency - Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), Tether (USDT) and other types of coin have also become a common method of payment among cyber sports betting enthusiasts.
eSports Betting Apps Australia
Many operators offer dedicated apps for popular mobile devices, such as Android and iOS. If you’re looking for a smooth betting experience, it’s worth investing in an app from your favourite operator. - There are a number of advantages to using an app over the website. First, you will have access to your account at all times, and can bet from anywhere. Second, the app is also easier to navigate than the website, and will allow you to conveniently analyse the eSports betting markets.
eSports Live Streaming
The popularity of eSports has given rise to a new phenomenon within the gaming industry: eSports live streaming. eSports live streaming refers to real-time, online broadcasting of competitive gaming events. Many eSports tournaments are broadcasted live on the internet, and many operators provide live streaming of major tournaments. If you’re interested in watching eSports live streaming, make sure to check the tournament schedule to find out when the next big event is taking place.
eSports tournaments are a huge part of the eSports betting scene. Because eSports are played by real people, they are susceptible to luck. This makes tournaments an exciting betting option, and provides opportunities for savvy eSports bettors. If you’re interested in betting on eSports tournaments, here are a few tournament types worth keeping an eye on:
- League of Legends World Championship - The LoL World Championship is the most prestigious eSports tournament in the world. This is the championship event for the LoL season, and attracts millions of viewers.
- Dota 2 International - The International is a premier eSports tournament for Dota 2. This tournament is held annually, and hosts some of the most competitive teams in the world.
- Overwatch League - The Overwatch League is a premier eSports tournament for Overwatch. This tournament is a franchise-based league, and is one of the most competitive in the world.
- Call of Duty World League - The Call of Duty World League is a premier eSports tournament for Call of Duty. This tournament is held annually, and culminates with a final event.
eSports Betting Tips
Now that you’re an expert in eSports betting, it’s time to put your knowledge to good use. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Do your research - Nothing will help you succeed in eSports betting more than research. Before you place any wagers, you need to understand the teams, players, and tournament format. This will give you a leg up on the competition, and will help you secure a positive betting experience.
- Stay patient - It’s important to remember that eSports are a team sport. While individuals are responsible for their actions, there are many factors beyond the control of the players. With this in mind, you should keep a level head, and not overreact if you don’t win your bets.
- Stay cool under pressure - It’s important to keep your emotions in check when gambling. It’s easy to get swept up in the hype of eSports, but you need to make sure that you don't make any rash bets.
Which eSports games are most popular for betting?
There are a number of eSports games that are popular for betting. Some of the most popular include Counter Strike: Global Offensive, DOTA 2, League of Legends, Call of Duty, Starcraft 2 and Overwatch.
What’s the difference between game betting and eSports betting?
Game betting is a feature that’s built into video games. It allows players to wager virtual goods and money on the outcome of matches. eSports betting is completely separate from game betting.
Are there any eSports betting sites that accept Australian players?
There are a number of sites that accept Australian players.